1894 – 1901:
Kevin Street/New Bride Street
The Trust’s second enterprise, which was on a larger scale, commenced in 1894 to the south of St. Patrick’s Cathedral. A derelict site of slightly over two acres was acquired at the corner of New Bride Street and Kevin Street which previously had been part of a rope-making works.
Between 1894 and 1901, three vast blocks were built parallel and close together in a characteristic Trust style, red brick with impressive entrances and conspicuous Dutch gables. These buildings are five-stories high and originally contained 584 rooms in 336 separate flats – 108 one room, 208 two room and 20 with three rooms.
Robert J. Stirling, a Dublin architect and engineer, designed the buildings and they were erected by Meade & Co. Plenty of light and ventilation was a prerequisite in the buildings. The sun was to shine in all windows at some time of day, and there was to be a wash house on each floor with a W.C. to every two families. The Kevin Street site was to be enlarged considerably from the early 1930s right up to 1950 as numerous new blocks were erected.
Architect:Robert J. Stirling
Builder:Meade & Co.
Rooms:108 one-room, 208 two-room, 20 three-room