1951 - 1975: Providing for the Elderly
By the mid century, the Trust possessed a range of accommodation: old tenements, some of them with shared facilities, at Bull Alley & Kevin Street; newer flats in the Kevin Street extensions, and suburban cottages at Crumlin. Almost 3,000 people were living in the accommodation, 2,410 persons in the flats & 570 in the Crumlin houses. The capital of the Trust amounted to over half a million pounds with net income from rents and investments of £11,418.
Improvements & Modernisation
No building occurred in the 1950’s but there was considerable improvement and modernisation of existing accommodation. The Trustees decided to continue improvements year by year as funds became available. Works included; replacing obsolete ranges in older flats with modern fireplaces, the addition of laundry & drying rooms with constant hot water at Kevin Street and a full overhaul to the roofs of the older blocks at Kevin Street, now 50 years old or more by that time.
In 1961 the Iveagh Trust (Amendment) Act was passed by Dáil Éireann, the only legislative amendment so far of the 1903 Act. The Trust’s powers of investment were extended to allow for better management of funds. The Iveagh Trust is the only social housing provider in Ireland founded by an act of the English parliament which was later consolidated by an act of the Oireachtas.
In 1962, Rupert, the second Earl Iveagh, retired as chairman of the Trust, continuing as a trustee, however, to 1967.
Bryan Walter Guinness, 2nd Lord Moyne, who had joined the trustees in 1928, succeeded Rupert as Chairman serving in that capacity until 1975.
Mount Anthony, Rathmines: 1960 – 1973
In 1959 the Trustees purchased a 1.25 acre site at Mount Anthony, Ardee Road, Rathmines, with the objective of building flats for elderly women. Provision for the elderly was to become a major concern of the Trust.
The first stage of development at Rathmines consisted of 10 double and 30 single flatlets, 2 guest rooms, a common room, and caretaker’s quarters. It was officially opened on 14th November 1962 by Mr. Neil Blaney, Minister for Local Government. The flats were soon fully occupied.
In 1963, 49 persons were living in Mount Anthony estate with an average age of 72. A considerable waiting list built up in anticipation of the further redevelopment which was to be undertaken as and when funds were available.
In 1963 the Rathmines project was encouraged by a grant of £12,000 from the Dept. of Local Government and in 1964 by a similar amount from Dulbin Coporation. 42 additional units were completed in 1968. The development then contained 82 self-contained units, 10 double and 72 single, and housed 87 people.
In 1970 the Trustees arranged to sell the houses at Crumlin to release capital for extensions at Mount Anthony and to finance continued modernisation of older properties. At that time 89 of the Crumlin tenants took advantage of the opportunity to purchase and seven vacant houses were sold on the open market.
The Trustees acquired a derelict house, Cosy Lodge, on a 25 acre site adjoining mount Anthony on which a further 30 single flats were built between 1971 – 1973 bringing the total accommodation on the Rathmines estate to 112 flatlets entirely for elderly ladies and married couples. In 1973 the weekly rental, including rates, was £3.25 for single flats and £3.38 for a double flat.