1931 - 1950: Expanding Kevin Street
Kevin Street Extensions: 1933 – 1950
Important developments were initiated at Kevin Street before the completion of the Crumlin estate that would eventually see a further 220 flats added by 1950.
In 1933, “Block O” – a block of 20 self-contained tenements each with three rooms and a scullery/bathroom was erected, at a cost of £13,350. Designed by O’Callaghan and Webb of Dublin and built in red brick, the block was occupied in the same year and was the first addition to the Kevin Street Estate since the completion of the original stock in 1901.
In 1935 the Trust decided on a further expansion programme at Kevin Street. A site contiguous to the Kevin Street buildings fronting Kevin Street Upper & New Bride Street, was acquired from the Corporation for £10,000. Messrs. O’Callaghan and Giron were appointed architects for the new development.
During the period 1938 to 1949 200 balconette flats, then something of a vogue, were built, each equipped with separate bathroom and kitchen. Eight ground-floor shops were included and two of the early blocks were provided with basement air-raid shelters.
Significant public financial support was received, £100 per flat from the government and £50 per flat from the Corporation. The total cost of the scheme was £89,000.
The balconette flats are built in five-story blocks and would eventually be completed with the striking long, curved facade at the corner of Kevin Street & New Bride Street that is so familiar today. In fact, the curved section joining the blocks flanking Kevin Street & New Bride Street was the final element to be erected, and was not completed until 1950.
Architecturally less ornamental than the original stock of Bull Alley & Kevin Street, the buildings appear to have been influenced by the vast and much-copied blocks of flats erected in Vienna and other continental cities in the 1920’s & 30’s.